Pageviews

Search a Restaurant or Meal

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Tarks: Old, Small, Cramp---but with good wings.



On my way to Miami to see the new stadium one of my co-workers raved about this place that has the greatest wings ever created. He salivated as he discussed said wings. While at first I was very skeptical, I then noticed that the location is located just a mile away from the greatest ice cream I’ve ever had and just a few miles away from the best cheeseburger I’ve ever had. So could it be that the folks of this 30-mile radius have silently discovered the secrets to masterful food? I decided to find out.




Tarks of Dania Beach is an extremely popular eatery that boasted a full parking lot the entire time I was there. The very first thing I noticed about this joint is….it is small. Like, ridiculously small. They actually boil, brew, and cook the food practically in front of you as the eatery consists of a couple long counters and a couple tables outside. Not being a fan of testing claustrophobia, I decided to dine outside after ordering my food. I went with the wings (of course), and then ordered their bbq and garlic shrimp.







After a brief wait and internal battle against the hungry flies I got my food and beer (I lie, it was water). I first fought the wings, which came in a plate that had a huge puddle of sauce at the bottom. Needless to say, this was the messiest battle I have ever engaged in against wings. The texture on the outside of the wings not swimming in sauce was quite tough but had a very nice tender inside. The meat inside was truly legit. The truly winning wings were those that had the sauce soup branched underneath. These wings were softer, spicier, and much more filling.




The shrimp however was a mild disappointment, with pricing being its best asset. The grouping of shrimp was served in skewers and consisted a multitude of garlic but had very little bbq. The dish came with curly fries, which were good but also no big deal. The truth is I didn’t realize I was hitting up a dive, a hole-in-the-wall, so the expectations were a little on the high side. I got thrown off from the getgo. In terms of bar food, this spot can do no wrong---especially compared to some bar food you’ll experience throughout your life.



Bottom Line: This spot can be best enjoyed when you treat it less like a restaurant and more like a bar—because the spot is small, its very claustrophobic, and lastly doesn’t offer much room. You will be elbow to elbow with strangers and even have the ability to watch the food get made in front of you. With that being said, this spot does indeed have a great variety of food, ranging from the greasy wings to the clams to the chowder. The prices are grand, the atmosphere is very local and old-school, and there’s not much to complain about here. While it lacks the pizzazz of your better local joints, Tarks is a good spot to sit, relax, drink, and soak up the alcohol with food.

And sometimes in life, isn’t that all you really need?

Final Verdict: Mildly Recommend

Tarks of Dania Beach
1317 South Federal Highway 
Dania Beach, FL 33004

No comments:

Post a Comment