Pageviews

Search a Restaurant or Meal

Friday, May 27, 2011

Me vs. Yoders. Round Two


One of my first restaurant visits ever since I decided to start blogging about my travels to far-off lands in search of the ultimate food was Yoder’s in Sarasota. I was hunting after their extremely popular chicken that was prominently featured in Man vs. Food. But apparently I arrived there on a Friday, which was the one day of the week they didn’t serve the chicken. Well, since I was in the area recently, I wanted to make a second trip to the spot (on a Monday) in order to finally try the pressure-cooked chicken. And I wanted to bring my brother and cousin along to introduce them to their pies, which are a Floridian legend.





As I had previously stated in my last visit, Yoder’s is a very popular restaurant in the Amish side of Sarasota that has gotten the attention of locals and tourists from around the country. This is less of a cuisine secret when compared to other places I had mentioned because Yoders is already well-known in Travel Channel. Nonetheless, Man vs. Food has disappointed me before (Munchies 420 anyone?) so I returned to see if the show was incorrect…again.

I ordered their pressure-fried chicken, with some macaroni and cheese and mashed potatoes. Josh orders the fried shrimp with fries and mashed potatoes. Michael orders the chicken as well with fries and mashed potatoes. Luckily, none of the things we wanted were restricted—unlike last time when the sweet potato, dumplings, and chicken were not available because it was Friday. While we waited, we were treated to the same bread I got from last time. It was fresh bread, and it’s complimented very well with their apple butter—which is an addiction by itself.










The chicken arrived in all its massive glory. The chicken was surprisingly not as warm as I wanted it to be, but luckily it was still a pure delight to eat. There was tons of meat, and it separates from the bone quite easily without much of a mess being made. The outer shell was crisp, juicy, and tender, while the meat inside (although not hot) was thick and among the best I’ve ever had. It was far better than the pan-roasted chicken I had before. The sides were also superb, as the mashed potatoes hit the spot just right and the macaroni and cheese was bursting with cheesy flavor.




Josh’s fried shrimp had the Gulf Coast taste and special touch, and was not disappointing at all. Despite that, he really would have preferred my chicken. The French fries were nothing to brag about but the portions were mighty in size so we were stuffed without the help of an appetizer. But this review is split into two categories: their pretty decent lunch and their spectacular dessert.

The second half of our experience here is what shines the most. Just like last time, the dessert is what stands out the most while dining here. I ordered the chocolate peanut butter pie, while Josh orders the chocolate cream pie and Mike orders their most popular dessert—the original peanut butter cream. For some odd reason they were given to us in to-go containers, limiting a bit the presentation of the pies. But, the flavor was still intact, as each pie delivers a heavy dosage of sugary freshness and quality ingredients.






The peanut butter cream pie is still hands-down the best one, as its pure heaven and the best pie I’ve ever consumed. But the other pies delivered in their own special way, whether it’s the chocolate-on-chocolate sinning Josh experienced, or the sprinkled peanut bitter pieces blending with the chocolate cream I got to taste. All potential flaws from the lunch were erased as our feet momentarily left the ground while consuming the dessert.

Bottom Line: While I will forever have a grudge with this place for restricting a slew of their menu items, I can forgive them temporarily as they deliver good food at decent prices backed by their mammothly inconceivably delightful dessert (made up word in the sentence, I know). Their chicken was not up to par with freshness standards, but was still a treat. Their sides were good, the shrimp was good, even their bread was good. But all that has to step aside for the real reason people come to this place: their pies. With among the most delicious pies this side of the planet, Yoder’s will become an eternal staple of Sarasota for as long as their pies continue delivering in the way they delivered on that fateful afternoon I arrived. If you are anywhere near Sarasota, this is a spot you must visit, as their fresh food and relaxed atmosphere makes this one of the better restaurants in the West Coast of Florida—despite all its menu limitations.

P.S. The fruit market next door is a must-visit. A lot of wonderful-looking food there.

Verdict: Recommend

Yoder's
3434 Bahia Vista Street
Sarasota, FL 34239
(941) 955-7771

No comments:

Post a Comment