Pageviews

Search a Restaurant or Meal

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Shutters: A nice quiet Disney dining experience without the legendary status


After almost two consecutive weeks of work, I decided to reward myself by going to a totally random restaurant in Walt Disney World. The beauty of Disney is that there are most likely over 100 places to eat within its magical borders, so you will require years at least to get through the entire repertoire of Disney dining. I randomly picked Shutters at the Caribbean Beach Resort since I had never been to the resort before. The Caribbean Resort is one of the largest of the Disney resorts on property, but has only one full-service joint. Located inside the eatery area of the resort, Shutters is a very small spot in the corner of the building.




Unlike most of your Disney restaurants, the place isn’t very heavy in theme, but still has a very comfortable look and never feels clamped or constricted. Shutters’ menu is relatively small, reducing to a few appetizers and just a couple entrees here and there. The restaurant does boast a full-service bar, and that’s definitely an added bonus. The online menu is not accurate, by the way, and I learned this the hard way when I found out that their Argentinean skirt steak was no longer on the menu. I decided to go with their shrimp fritters, their New York strip (their most popular item) , and the Captain Banana—an alcoholic specialty that they offer.




First up came the Captain Banana, and the result is simply hands-down one of the best drinks I’ve ever had. This cocktail is a mix of spiced rum with coconut and pineapple juice, mixed in with some Crème de Banana. Easily one of the best alcoholic beverages out there in Disney World, and its not too strong nor is it too runny. It works perfectly as a thirst quencher and a spectacular way to start off the evening. Before the meal they serve sourdough bread with cilantro butter. This was also amazing, but I am a little biased since sourdough bread is my favorite type of bread (I still miss those sourdough burgers from Burger King. R.I.P slice of heaven). The bread was fresh, and nicely crisp on the outside. The cilantro butter was addicting, as it was creamy, soft, and had a nice little kick you don’t usually get from butter.






The shrimp fritters arrived, and these babies are quite odd in texture and taste. These fritters were stuffed with fresh shrimp, some corn, and pepper to kick up the spicy meter. While they weren’t overbearingly spicy, they still delivered a mild punch and it worked well with the corn and shrimp. They were odd because I don’t usually get spicy fritters. They come with three dipping sauces, but these fritters work perfectly fine without any sauce. They were nice and gave me extra because of the sad news about the lack of skirt steak.






The New York Strip here is a little tough to analyze, because I’ve had the top steak in the country (officially) and have experienced the legendary steak of Le Cellier. This steak is by no means a disappointment, as its charred slightly for a crisp and mildly sugary taste (hints of brown sugar are used in the steak) and its thick enough to satisfy any stomach. That being said, I’ve had the best of the best so I couldn’t help but feel a little underwhelmed. Don’t let it deter you much; if you don’t want to spend the buttload on Charley’s Steakhouse or if you can’t seem to ever get that darn reservation, then this spot makes a fine third choice. Otherwise, I would probably go with another item on the menu. The Caribbean pork ribs sounded quite good. Someone remind me to stop ordering steak elsewhere.



Lastly was the Tres Leches cake. This one was a disappointment, because its not as “wet” as your typical tres leches. This cake is soaked to the core in sugar, caramel, and milk if done correctly. Shutters’ cake felt more like Dos Leches (Bad joke, I know, I know) and while it was a fine cake, this does not bring me back home to the Dominican Republic. The dinner was not a disappointment, but the dessert left something to be desired.

Bottom Line: Shutters is a nice restaurant located in an underrated resort that features your clichéd Caribbean dishes with an extra kick. In here you aren’t just getting your usual fritters, they got spicy shrimp inside them. You aren’t getting just bread and butter, but great bread with addicting cilantro butter. In here, you’ll find quality food, quality service, and an overall satisfactory experience. While some of the items are indeed better in other parts of Disney World, you won’t leave this spot disappointed. Happy fourth of July to me….


Final Verdict: Lightly Recommend

Shutters @ Caribbean Beach Resort
Walt Disney World
Lake Buena Vista, Fl
407-WDW-DINE

1 comment:

  1. I love shutters too! A friend of mine put them around her windows...on the inside...it looked so awesome instead of curtains! I love what you've done with yours too!
    window blinds houston

    ReplyDelete