Pageviews

Search a Restaurant or Meal

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Like an Expensive Vacation: Glorious Now, Hurts Wallet Later


Several years ago I had gone on a Lone Cowboy trip to New York City, when I came across a restaurant. Outside their sign boasted that they are voted one of the 10 best steakhouses in the entire country. They were #6. I thought that was extremely impressive, but I was shocked that which spot was #1. Apparently, all this time, Orlando had the top steakhouse in the country and I had never been there. Charley’s Steakhouse is part of a fancy chain of restaurants in Florida that has been met with overwhelming success and acclaim. The original Charley’s Steakhouse (Around since the early 70s) however has been the top steakhouse for the past several years and in the top 10 for even longer. My parents go there every year because on your birthday, they reduce your bill by over $21. Trust me; you’ll need that reduction, as the place is extremely pricy. But, can the top steakhouse justify its outlandish prices with award-winning food? Read on dear fellows.






On my birthday, my dad and my brother took me to Charley’s. Located awkwardly in the middle of Orange Blossom Trail, it is about a mile away from Florida Mall, and located next to an Indian plaza and a vegetarian restaurant. Inside however is some of the fanciest décor I’ve ever seen from a restaurant. The place is chock full of wine, chock full of fancy scenery, and just had this aura of romanticness and expensiveness that I tend to avoid while doing this blog to avoid bankruptcy (nobody is paying me to do these, you know). This may come off as negative so let me shine a positive light: this place looks pricy from the getgo, but features one of the most romantic settings in any dining institution around. You will forget you are in Orange Blossom Trail as slow relaxing music (even playing some old-school jazz) calmly plays from the speakers above you.



My dad strongly recommended the porterhouse, as it was 30+ ounces and my brother had tried it before (and fell in love). So I ordered the porterhouse, Michael ordered the Kansas City strip (22 oz.), and my father ordered the double-chops (two massive pork chops). As an appetizer, I took on their gator bites. An interesting thing about this place is that although it has a fancy décor, you have to get your own salad. There is a small salad bar in the middle of the restaurant with lettuce, a couple types of dressing, and miscellaneous items. This may sound picky when it loses points, but if we are paying top dollar for this food, at least bring us the salad. This isn’t a Golden Corral. Small little picky note, but a complaint nonetheless. The gator bites arrived along with the bread and they were pretty good, although not my favorites. We’ve had better at this local Florida joint in Christmas.








The evening so far was nice, but the food wasn’t justifying its prices. Until now. After a longer wait, all the steak arrived. The porterhouse was incredibly, undeniably massive to a point of intimidation. It was served with a side of mashed potatoes. But I forgot about the potatoes as I saw a stick of butter quickly melt and run down the steak like a meat river. I didn’t even know where to start. The first bite made it clear: this definitely is the best steak I’ve ever had. As I ate through this steak, it was heavenly bite after heavenly bite. The meat was tender, juicy, and so rich of flavor I didn’t know how to distribute it amongst my taste buds. The entire steak had multiple different textures (depending on where the meat is within the bone) and seemingly multiple different flavors---all of them outstanding. The mashed potatoes were very good, but the steak was the clear winner in this dinner. This was something special, so ****ing special (Cue Radiohead). My dad and my brother’s dishes were good, but it was the porterhouse that sent my head to the ceiling.




Bottom Line: Charley’s Steakhouse had a disappointing start but finished strong thank to its award-winning steak that clearly justified its price. The salad bar and the ludicrous prices were minor setbacks but nearly all was forgiven once you dwelled into their glorious slabs of meat. The fancy décor tells you one thing: if you are willing to bring your significant other here, he/she must be someone quite special. It is nearly guaranteed that you’ll spend over $40 excluding tips, and almost guaranteed your wallet will weigh less by the end of it all. Nonetheless, if you want to try some of the best steak in the country, look no further. But if you are looking for a lower-scale, milder, less-expensive experience, look elsewhere. This place is like a massive vacation: enjoy it while you can, because it won't happen again for a while. When you do come here prepare to be amazed, prepare to spend, and prepare to dazzle whomever you are taking.

Just be the gentlemen and make her the salad…..


Oh that steak, my goodness.............

Verdict:
Highly Recommend (Steak)
Recommend (Overall)

Charley's Steakhouse
6107 South Orange Blossom Trail
Orlando, FL 32809

(407) 851-7130

No comments:

Post a Comment