Pageviews

Search a Restaurant or Meal

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Cafe Mineiro: The Brazilian Gem of I-Drive


So this adventure I have been on for two years have resulted in many success stories, many interesting results, but at the same time can wield some major curveballs. Originally, I went to International Drive at Orlando to find me some Brazilian pizza. But apparently I found out when I got there that the spot no longer exists, and the new place that replaced the joint was closed for the evening. And this was at 10:00. Shame on them. So randomly, I decided to tackle another Brazilian place that was close by. Cafe Mineiro, the busiest of the streetside restaurants in the long stretch of road, became my next adventure. And what follows is the craziest carnivore experience I have ever faced.


Cafe Mineiro has been a staple in International Drive, a staple I constantly skipped. But now that I parked right next door, I decided to randomly give this one a shot. The place was packed, but didn't hold much Brazilian flair inside. The Portuguese language can be heard left and right but there wasn't a lot of decoration. The first interesting thing to note is that this place is a hybrid of steakhouse, restaurant, and buffet. You can whether order from a menu, grab a plate and tackle the buffet, or engage in a special $29 dinner that includes over a dozen different types of meats. My friend decided to hit the buffet since she wasn't as much of a carnivore as I am. I decided to go big and went for the meatapalooza.



The buffet itself consisted of lots of meats as well--ranging from seafood to barbeque. Along with that you get vegetables, fruit, pasta, and other miscellaneous items. My meal however was of a different spectrum. Several servers will walk around each table that is participating in the dinner and offers one or cut cuts of the meat they are holding on skewers. In terms of style, this matches that of Texas de Brazil (One of the highest-rated restaurants in Orland0) and Ohanas (Hands-down one of the best restaurants in Florida). Not a new concept, so its all about presentation and delivery.


In terms of speed, this place is no joke--from the second the little post is green on top---signaling for the onslaught to begin. Before even finishing taking pictures of the first couple meats they were already ready to deliver the next two. The meats ranged from sirloin steak to pork to sausage to even some lamb thrown in for good measure. The meats ranged from decent to good to spectacular. While the lamb and shish kabob were noting to write heavily about, the sirloin and especially the parmesan baked pork were the big hits of the evening. Rounding out the top 3 was their chicken wrapped in bacon.









So at $29, 10+ types of meat is pretty decent, right? Well, it just outright continues as they consistently arrive and ask if you want more. "Just one more piece" becomes the statement of the evening as you search deep into your soul to find the willpower to continue eating. After the first round of meats, I found myself waiting for more steak and more pork. That being said, I wonder if I had been allowed to try some of their barbeque, since it wasn't part of the meaty marathon I was participating in. Ah well, next time, right?


And next time has to happen not only because the food is so good, but also because I had just experienced one-third of the eatery, as apparently there are a wide variety of dishes and succulent desserts hidden within the confides of the restaurant. Lastly, I went for some dessert in the buffet section. The after-dinner hit of the night was their chocolate mousse blended with dulce de leche. While the result tasted much more like pudding with globs of dulce scrambled about, it was a fine way to close out the evening.

Bottom Line: Cafe Minero turned my evening from disappointment into delight with its array of great food, quick service, and surprising variety. Your plan of attack when eating here can range from a nice romantic dinner to a cuisine marathon through the cooking styles of Southern Brazil. While the I-Drive area is known for having a slew of knock-offs and half-arsed attempts, this place easily stands out from the crowd with its popularity, late-late hours (Runs until 2 a.m. nearly every night), and high-quality cuisine. While the place doesn't reveal much outside or inside, the food does all the talking. And its speaking Portuguese.

Verdict: Recommend

Cafe Mineiro
6432 International Drive
Orlando, FL 32819

No comments:

Post a Comment