Pageviews

Search a Restaurant or Meal

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Clarkie's Restaurant: Old School with No School




Clarkie’s Restaurant has been a staple in the outskirts of Downtown Orlando since the late 50s. In other words, it survived the tough economies of the late 70s, 2000s, and today and remains a great survival story. Despite being in a city that has more restaurants than any other spot in America (true story), Clarkie’s holds up. They thrive on breakfast while also offering lunch—despite never remaining open past 2:00. I have decided to give this place a shot and see how their breakfast fares—after all this is the most popular part of the restaurant.


Down Orange Avenue it’s a very interesting street because you will also find an extremely old chicken place, a French-American South hybrid, and even the only authentic German restaurant for miles upon miles. Heading closer to Downtown you will find Clarkie’s after passing several neighborhoods and plazas. The place has a very Southern hometown feel on the outside and on the inside. While the sign boasts that it makes famous pies, nobody was eating them when I walked in. There were two waitresses and one cook in the back. The ambiance was calm and composed, as the customers were all regulars. How do I know? Because the servers talked to each of them like family.




The menu is small, nothing expansive. Your typical eggs, pancakes, and miscellaneous meat alternatives to compliment the fare. I decided to fight the Lumberjack’s Meal, which consists of three eggs, three pancakes, bacon, sausage patty, and the choice of homefries or grits. I decided to give the grits a chance, and then ordered an apple juice to start. After a brief wait I got the apple juice, which was decent nothing spectacular. The restaurant on the inside is quite small as I could see the kitchen from where I was seating, and then there was a fridge and coffee section right next to where I pay my check. Religious memorabilia everywhere and amusing random anecdotes sprinkled about. This was definitely a Southern restaurant. The breakfast arrives and it required two plates to fit it all. The egg portion was a lot smaller than I expected, while the grits and pancakes absorbed most of the space.









The eggs were decent, but nothing more. Same goes with the bacon---and the grits---and the sausage----and even the pancakes. As a matter of fact, I didn’t have anything that resembled outstanding. They were bearable, but nothing worth bragging about. The pancakes were supposed to be the deal-clincher but they didn’t have much flavor. The syrup was good, that’s one compliment I shall give. But I can make this at home. All of it, maybe even the pancakes.



Bottom Line: Well, I went to the old-school breakfast joint, and I left rather disappointed because the mystery to its success remains unsolved. The place is snazzy, the service was wonderful, the prices weren’t too nuts (Although 4 bucks for juice is…nuts), but the food was highly unsatisfying. In a world where IHOPs, Waffle Houses, and Central Florida native Keke’s Breakfast Café’s (Best breakfast in Orlando) run amok, I am shocked that this spot with its subpar food can still make its money. Wonderful people don’t get me wrong, but in terms of breakfast there’s much better out there.


Final Verdict: Do Not Recommend

Clarkie's Restaurant
3110 S Orange Ave
Orlando, FL 32806

No comments:

Post a Comment