Pageviews

Search a Restaurant or Meal

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Cafe Tu Tu Tango: The Indie Gem of International Drive






International Drive is a feast of restaurants, probably one of the most extensive in all of Central Florida. That street alone has 4 T.G.I. Fridays, and no, I am not clever enough to actually make that up. So with the convention center attached in the middle, dozens of fancy restaurants and popular chains roam the surrounding land in hopes of a profit. But in the center of it all is a place that defies a few conventional rules while providing one of the oddest dining experiences out there. And I mean odd in the most positive way.











Café Tu Tu Tango is what I like to classify as “indie dining,” which is a spot that breaks from the norm and contains a very subculture personality from the ambiance to the music to the entertainment to even the food. It has a diverse pure-appetizer menu as well as a full bar and an extensive array of wines. I was told by another local that some of the best food you’ll ever have can be found here. With that sort of recommendation I had to give it a shot.


The place is located in front of a hotel shaped like a castle. Once again, I am not making this up. Inside the place is decked out with all sorts of art, ranging from creative paintings to interesting sculptures to works of art that makes you question why it’s a work of art. They are all also for sale. Restaurant that doubles as an art gallery/art shop? Sounds indie to me. The place also has a nice laid-back soundtrack blazing in the background as you make your way to your seat. Outside there is a patio to dine in, and a multitude of tables inside, with an open kitchen that allows you to see some of the food being made.



The menu isn’t the biggest, but is definitely varied. They go from the flatbread pizza we all love to things like alligator bites, roasted pears, salmon burgers, and other oddities. Odd is good, remember this. The place doesn’t have a specific lunch or dinner item, so you are encouraged to order more than one appetizer to get the full meal. Financially, this is where they can get you, as you can easily rack up $20 excluding alcohol for appetizers. Whether the price justifies the items in question was the biggest question of my lunch.




Asking the server what were the most popular items in the restaurant, he pointed immediately to the Cajun chicken egg roll (Yep) and the dynamite shrimp. The egg roll had chicken, corn, spices, and goat cheese. The shrimp was simpler, as it has a sweet chili aioli. Feeling adventurous, I decided to go with both of those items, and then ordered a mojito. The server mentioned that the items are made fresh and are delivered when they are finished, so some items could take longer. Fine by me, I will observe the John Lennon painting in the corner.


The shrimp arrives first and let me tell you something: this is the best shrimp outside the Gulf Coast. It was breaded with the aioli and gave it a crunch, a tang, and a burst of sweet and spicy flavor I have rarely experienced with such glee. I am pretty sure I squealed after the first bite (*Turns in Man Card*). Picture crispy fried shrimp with a lighter texture and drowning in an ocean of amazing sauce. That was my dynamic shrimp. The server asked me what my opinion of the shrimp was and I immediately replied:

“Can you please hug the chef for me? Thanks.”




The chicken egg roll had a lot to live up to because of my dance with seafood perfection. This item was loaded, as it’s a main course in the body of an appetizer. The egg rolls had the texture of your typical fried delight but this time had a sweet, crunchy, spicy, and meaty somersault that just separates itself from the Chinese food fixture in every single possible way. This one was a little spicier than the shrimp, but didn’t attempt to kill you at any moment. Mustard is rarely my cup of tea but the creole mustard compliments the food well. But these rolls don’t need any help, they are perfectly fine on their own.





I was about to ask for the bill but unfortunately looked at the dessert menu. Oh God, a chocolate calzone. It was stuffed with white and dark chocolate while also being supported with ice cream and whipped cream. Now, keep in mind this dessert is supposed to serve two. However, being forever alone I decided to suck it up, look like a fat arse, and ordered the item anyway. This dessert took even longer than the appetizers. But being no stranger to waiting, I fought out the wait with diligence—and constant sips of my mojito—which was quite scrumptious and fresh.


Here comes the calzone. Dear Lord. I actually got the attention of the surrounding customers with my dessert arsenal. Picture the classic Italian dish except smaller, and instead of cheesy and greasy it’s gooey, creamy, and sweet enough to satisfy all sweet teeth for about a week. The entire dish is also glazed with caramel and chocolate sauce. The entire aftermeal was pure heaven, and it now stands as one of the best dessert options in all of Central Florida. Two appetizers, one drink, one massive dessert and the total price?



Not bad.



Bottom Line: Café Tu Tu Tango is a wonderful place with that subculture flavor that you see in small scattered portions in Orlando. The blending of cultures in Orlando has a substantial influence on this place as it blends multiple types of art, music, alcohol, and cuisine into one colorful package that is too nice to ignore. The lack of full meals is not a big deal at all as they have plenty of great food to make up for it. I will definitely return, and you all should definitely give this place a shot.


Final Verdict: Highly Recommend

Café Tu Tu Tango
8625 International Drive
Orlando, Florida 32819

1 comment:

  1. I wanna go there in this restaurant it looks the food there so delicious.

    catering in manila

    ReplyDelete