Pageviews

Search a Restaurant or Meal

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Prime One Twelve: Pure upper-class quality cuisine mayhem



I have had a lot of interesting cuisine moments during the nearly three years of this blog. But my experience at Prime One Twelve will not be forgotten. While the place is very out-of-the-way, extremely high-class, extremely cramped, and sometimes frustrating to get a seat, all this insanity becomes forgiven when you take on their food. Their food is hands-down, no-holds-barred, no-questions-asked among the best I have ever had from any source—home, work, restaurant. Let me explain.





Prime One Twelve is one of the premiere and most prestigious restaurants in all of South Florida. It hosts celebrities, hosts all the upper class, and appeals to those that simply want to be noticed. Rumor has it there is a preference list even after you place the reservation. Does it hold true? Not sure, but I did see others after me get seated first. It could have been the hunger and wait time playing games with my head.



Whatever the reason, this spot cannot be found in the usual Ocean Drive stretch. No, you must actually travel a bit farther down past a sketchy and not-as-high-class area before you nail the corner that is bristling with nightlife. I felt out of place. And after reading the menu, felt even more out of place. The place was crowded---and it was considered a “slow night.” After finally being seated, I was treated to three different types of bread: cheddar, pumpernickel, and rye bread.




Now, on to the menu. This place is very unique because it is high class, but the portions range from small to absolutely ridiculous. The salads are too big for one person, almost all the appetizers (on AND off the menu) and even some of the entrees are shareable. It’s not only offered, but recommended. But me being a party of one, I couldn’t put these to the test. I did however decide to take on their one-pound Kobe burger and their lobster mac and cheese. I am going to be broke…… This place is expensive as all things Holy. The sides are over $10, the appetizers average around $20, and don’t even bring up the entrees. I am going to state this right now: do not come here if you are broke or financially strapped. Just don’t do it.





After a decent waiting period the cheeseburger and the mac and cheese arrives. Both items reek of pure intimidation. The lobster mac and cheese isn’t a big dish, but the richness of the meal more than made up for it. Packing a very cheesy crunch, this pasta delight featured major chunks of fresh lobster mingled with the breadcrumbs and cheese which reeked of awesomeness. This is some of the best pasta I have ever had, and this is just a side dish. A pricy one at that, but worth every penny.









And then there’s the burger.


While I have tackled massive burgers before, this one felt different. This burger had heat emulating from the pores. But this burger was one of the most unbelievable hunks of meat I have ever consumed. This burger challenges Le Tub, and is one of the best burgers in the history of my life. It is juicy, smoking hot, savory, and was perfectly complimented by the buns—which were also extremely tasty. One pound of pure spiritual lifting, this burger could clean out the sinuses. I am not sure if you would be willing to go to an expensive restaurant for a cheeseburger but trust me: this is a very, very upscale and quality-laden version of your favorite burger.




And then there’s the fried oreos.


Knowing that it was going to be an extremely long time before I ever make my way back in here (if it ever happens again) I decided to continue the splurge by ordering my first case of fried oreos. I mean, why not? Well, cross another one off the bucket list as I finally tasted the deliciousness, and boy did this place deliver. Picture a funnel cake like exterior, and a warm melted oreo in the interior, and then combine that with cool and rich French vanilla ice cream. The only reason I didn’t finish the dessert was simply because I was already experiencing food coma prior to the dessert and was probably going to die if I had taken another bite.

Bottom Line: Prime One Twelve is pure cuisine mayhem plain and simple. It is an extremely expensive place, but if you have the money somehow or someway you must give this place a shot. Containing some of the best food I’ve ever eaten, this place rises past the clichés of fancy restaurants with small portions. The price is big, but so is the quality and the quantity of the food involved.

You must come here, just do it.


Final Verdict: Strongly Recommend---as long as you have $$$$$$$



Prime One Twelve
112 Ocean Dr 
Miami Beach, FL 33139

No comments:

Post a Comment