Pageviews

Search a Restaurant or Meal

Sunday, April 12, 2015

Chimiking: (Temporarily) I'm Home..




My opinion towards my country’s food has been documented several times. There are foods over in the Dominican Republic that can never be duplicated here in the United States, no matter how hard you try. This is not an insult to America, this is just the truth. The fruit there is fresher, the water is better, the yucca is nineteen layers above anything cassava/potatoish here in Florida, and even the street foods have a special flavor.






One of our most infamous creations is the chimichurri, which is actually street burgers. What makes the chimichurri over in the Dominican Republic so fascinating is that you never actually know when was the last time that grill was cleaned, you don’t know what else has been cooking in the same vicinity, and you never quite know what that special sauce is (even though nine times out of ten its mayo/ketchup). None of this is healthy, but I assure you that there are few things in life sweeter than a good Dominican burger. So when we have a food truck that has excelled and survived throughout Orlando mainly because of Dominican burgers, I of course had to find this place.




ChimiKing the food truck actually became such a hit that the owners decided to also open up a permanent restaurant in the edge of Whisper Lakes, one of the neighborhoods between Orlando and Kissimmee. Good luck figuring out what exactly is their chimichurri contents, as not even their website points out details of the burger---and yes there is a secret sauce attached. The restaurant itself is a small building that houses a small menu and a section where there is already-made food that you can order to go. I didn’t care about anything else, I just wanted the chimuchurri. Because I am a weakling for these things (and because I still can’t figure out how to make a successful one at home) I complimented the burger with a morir sonando (milk/orange juice hybrid straight from heaven).

The chimichurri arrives in all its glory: it’s a thick burger that is surrounded by shredded lettuce, plenty of sauce and wrapped in thick toasted bun that is far meatier and heavier than the average burger bun. The entire creation was a sheer delight, as the burger packed plenty of heat and flavor, and was supported immensely by the creamy sauce that was lathering on top with the lettuce. With the buns being well-toasted, it kept the temperature of the beautiful burger nice and high all the way to the last bite. Simplicity is key here: burger, good sauce, good bread, and a veggie alternative to touch the rest of your taste buds.





While I deemed it impossible, this burger does a great job transporting you to the sketchy corners of the Dominican Republic where secretly some of the best cooks concoct their evil creations. Also helping the trip down Dominican memory lane was the equally superb morir sonando, which was just the right amount of sweetness to counter the heat, salt, and savory punch of the chimichurri. I didn’t have anything else. I didn’t need anything else. Coming back here would just result in me ordering the same thing—similar to my relationship with Hollywood’s Le Tub: I am only here for the burger.

Bottom Line: If the food truck’s chimichurri is just as good as the restaurant version, then it is definitely worth making the trip at 3 a.m. to this area to nab one of these late night delights. The chimichurris here are fantastic and worth every penny and every mile. Similar to a magician keeping their tricks secret to preserve the magic, I’d rather not know what that secret sauce is, I just want to relive the experience and hear the bachata playing as I consume one of these delights. If you are looking for a great late night burger, look no further. Look for the ChimiKing truck. Get the chimichurri. Thank me later.



Final Verdict: Recommend


ChimiKing
2108 Whisper Lakes Blvd, 
Orlando, FL 32837

No comments:

Post a Comment